Wednesday, January 30, 2013

...and This Is Today

Yesterday was warm and sunny, with gentle breezes.

That was yesterday. This is today:

I'm at the little dot under all those colors, just above right of the top red dot.

We've had tornado warnings all morning. Warning means that one has been spotted, keep an eye out for more. After noon tornadoes hit north of here, overturning cars on the freeway. The freeway has been shut down and there has been at least one fatality so far. We're getting hit, and this one isn't a joke...unlike snow warnings in Atlanta.

**UPDATE:

THANK YOU, EVERYONE, FOR THE CONCERN!!

Luckily the storm seemed to peter out a little around the office. The weather sirens were going off in a nearby city. I could hear them through the walls at work. (One rich city has warning sirens here.) There was a time when the wind and rain stopped dramatically (read suddenly) and the sky went a strange color of orange, green, and black. Then it suddenly moved on and softer rains came in.

I stayed at work until 4. The worst of it had passed over, but the yellow and red bands were between work and home. I was going home anyway. Wait too late and I would probably be caught in horrible traffic. I meandered my way home with only rain to keep me company. Sometimes it was heavy, other times light. Made it home in 1 hour 30 minutes. Only slightly longer than average. :) All was well at home. The detention pond in the front yard was full. Rare occurence lately. It has probably been full twice in the last five years. (Quite a difference from when it was full four times a year the first couple years we lived here.)

Oilburner stayed late at work and made it home safely as well.

I'll count my blessings and keep the less fortunate close to my heart tonight. Thank you, friends, for thinking of us.

14 comments:

  1. Is this typical for this time of year!? I haven't heard of tornadoes in the winter as they are usually associated with warm air masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, this is not typical for this time of year. Normally summer. But considering that it is currently 69F, the warm air mass is here and ripe for destruction.

      Delete
  2. Lori:

    stay safe, don't take any chances, don't drive.

    maybe stay at work until the Tornado warnings have passed.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. The current plan is to stay at work. The storm might be shifiting slightly east and north. It will be muddling up the entire distance between work and home for quite some time. And I really, really hate to stay at work longer than I have too. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, and considering the tornado warnings are in effect until 8 pm (as of now), I'm not staying at work that late. haha

      Delete
  3. See the moment I lave it all turns to shit.....

    On the bright side, it is sunny here and I am off home soon for a swim, a cold beer, and some lovely Coromadel smoke fish washed down with a delicate Sav....

    Stay safe....I will be thinking of you (well trying anyway)..xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Rogey...keep your darn nice weather, and pool, and drinks... :)

      Your turn will come soon. You're headed towards winter, remember. hehe

      But thank you. Back home safe and sound. Though the rain is rather loud on the roof right now.

      Delete
  4. Look at Roger teasing us with his Kiwi weather. You and your cold beer and a swim. Sheesh :-)

    Stay safe Lori. Crap weather on the roads is better than staying at work until 8. We want to to make it home alive though. Take care mon amie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember when he was lamenting his rainy, cold winter weather while we were all out riding in the summer? At least turn around is fair play, huh? ;)

      Thank you for the concern. Agreed...only an actual tornado would probably be able to keep me in the office. I home. Safe and sound, listening to the rain. Go figure, supposed to be sunny and pretty tomorrow. Sigh

      Delete
  5. Hope it passes without any incidents! Stay safe. Let us know how you fare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! All safe. Nothing has happened to our happy slice of the world. Aren't you getting socked with snow right now? You stay safe too! (Duly updated the post to include the ride home.)

      Delete
  6. Thought of you as I read about the storms. If everyone can't be safe, I hope at least you and those you love will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This storm seemed to get the entire country. Hope it didn't do any damage in your area. I see it is currently blanketing New England. I hope that you are yours remained safe.

      Delete
  7. Dear Steel Cupcake:

    This was apparently everyone's year for high winds. I sincerely hope your house and your rolling stock was spared any damage. I couldn't believe the number of overturned cars on the road. I'm glad the storm didn't catch you, or Mr. Whale Oil Burner out in the open, on your bikes. It is our turn again today (Feb. 8) as snowstorms begin rolling over the upper east coast.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete